Saturday 25 April 2015

Poetry: 100 Memories: 007: Prospecting by Bernise Carolino



100 MEMORIES: 007: PROSPECTING
by Bernise Carolino

daycrawler,
trekking the sprawling
city i adore - all neckties and
pencil skirts and
smoke breaks and
7-11 cup noodle lunches and
me, wandering

free, button-down wrists
swinging,

palm curled around the
shiny sheaf of flyers slick with
sun sweat as i recite
my mantra:
ma'am/sir, condos in
BGC/makati. would you,
ma'am/sir, like to walk the
little distance to the
showroom with me?

eyes trained for rolexes and
LVs, i assess the
next stranger:
middle-aged. middle eastern.
male. hello sir,
care for a 55-square-meter
city paradise? no time?
please write down your
name, your number, and
i shall call you
later.

now is nice, replies
middle-aged middle eastern male,
eyes assessing my breast
pocket, my silver
zipper. i know what he sees.
filipino. female. fresh fucking
fruit. he says, licking
lips, come see my motel.
see my room.

very nice, sir. very good. but
i'm afraid i must leave
very soon.
(the flyers must fly!
so do i!)

i throw shallow breaths
over my shoulders, traverse
this city i fear, this
city of monsters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment