Saturday 25 April 2015

Poetry: When Sleeping Beauty Woke Up by Jellorie Gallego



When Sleeping Beauty Woke Up
by Jellorie Gallego

one bottle of beer, one moment
where I take a bitter drink
to celebrate friendship
a game of fun and chance
you said, but you never told me
what the stakes were

one shot, one moment
i've never thought
conversations could last
long enough to fill up
lonely hours as the hands
slowly tick and tock
silence
and we're stuck watching the time

one last drink, one moment,
they say it's only your virginity
but they never talk about the dignity you lose
as the sun rises and the clock rings
i'm stuck here, seeking my clothes
but never finding my own self

one gasp of air, one moment
i'm nursing a hangover
while you're alright
talking to your brods
boasting about that girl
you screwed over in a one night stand

one chance, one moment
you get only one time to get it right
to give it up to the right person
that knight in shining armour
if only, you, in your white shirt
had been that person to save me.

and here I am
the girl who thought
that fairy tales always
ended up
in happiness

but the heroine of this story
is not you but me
and I know that I,
eventually,
someday,
will be,
happy
The End.

0 comments:

Post a Comment